From Post-War to the New Millennium
The study of architecture was first introduced to the University in 1951.
In response to the demands of a rapidly changing society, a Department of Extra-Mural Studies was established in 1956 to provide continuing adult education.
In 1961, when the University celebrated its golden jubilee, it had more than 2,000 students, four times greater than in 1941.
The Faculty of Social Sciences was established in 1967, and the Law Department in 1969.
In 1982, the Faculty of Dentistry, based at the Prince Philip Dental Hospital, was established. It remains Hong Kong’s only faculty for training dental professionals.
In 1984, both Architecture and Education became fully-fledged faculties, and in the same year a separate Law Faculty was created. The University’s tenth faculty, the Faculty of Business and Economics, was established in 2001.
In 1992, the Department of Extra-Mural Studies became the School of Professional and Continuing Education (HKU SPACE) and remains Hong Kong's largest tertiary-level institution for continuing education.